Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Face: Jenn Metz

Today I'd like to introduce you to Jenn Metz. Jenn is the Editor-in-Chief at The Observer and a lovely person! I first met her when I was visiting Notre Dame as a high school student. Jenn was a freshman and she was roommates with one of my high school friends. She told me about her experiences working at The Observer, staying there until 2 or 3 am. I was scared to death of working there but now, three years later, I'm proud to say I'm an Observer news writer/wire editor and I love it! I've always admired how hard Jenn works and of course, she is a talented journalist too.
Your full name: Jenn Metz
Major: English and Romance Languages, Minor: Journalism, Ethics and Democracy

Dorm: Cavanaugh

Hometown: Westfield, NJ

Job description: As Editor-in-Chief of The Observer, I read articles, check layout, manage business operations, head the editorial board, run a new Web site and maintain a level of quality journalism on campus ... all for about 12 cents an hour.

Why do you love your job (if you do)? I enjoy having influence over the campus community, and I love being able to pick up the paper and know that people are reading it and learning something or forming opinions, and I had a huge part in making that happen.

Why did you pick Notre Dame? I fell in love with the campus when I visited and I knew I would have so many opportunities here.

What is your dream for your life after college? I would like to be a producer of a broadcast news program or, in my dream life, a writer on a primetime television show.

What is your favorite place on campus? Waddick's

What is your theme song? I don't really have a theme song...more of a iPod on shuffle kind of person.

Who is your hero? I think Tina Fey is a magnificent writer and is able to make current events extremely entertaining. Her success is something to be admired.
What makes you laugh? How I Met Your Mother

What do you think is the world's biggest problem? The world's biggest problem is kind of a broad question. I could name several issues here, all very valid problems, but not one could be singled out as the most important. I think working to foster a greater awareness and a greater understanding between cultures to work for the same goals at a global level could help solve those problems.

Favorite and least favorite thing about being a Notre Dame student? Favorite: The things I've been able to accomplish here, the friends I've made. Least: South Bend winters.

One word that describes you? Busy
 
Thank you Jenn!

No comments:

Post a Comment